Safety in Industrial Railcar Switching is our number one priority.
At Railserve, safety is not just a program, it is a core value. Our goal is to be the safest industrial switching provider in the industry. Our safety program is designed to show genuine concern for the health and safety of our employees. Railserve's defined, documented and measurable safety process ensures that our employees and customers have a safe working environment.
Our safety processes have been designed with practicality and flexibility in mind.
Key elements our methods include:
- REAct - Railserve Emergency ACTion: A remote transmitter worn on the safety vest allows every crew member to stop the train in case of emergency.
- Behavior-based Safety: Our behavior-based Crew Audit and Critical Work Habits Checklist use a process approach, which emphasizes that every job has critical steps, which if done safely, will result in an injury free employee. Railserve believes that an integral part of its safety and quality process is to ensure its employees are following safety policies and rules. One of the ways we do this is to perform weekly audits for compliance with our rules. Any at-risk behavior identified through observation intervention measures must be corrected and further training for the employees provided, if necessary. Timely and specific, positive reinforcement is provided to the worker.
- Quarterly Safety Bonus: To emphasis team safety, each location can earn a bonus based on the location's safety performance.
- Safety Rule Book: Railserve subscribes to the principle that all accidents and injuries can be prevented. All our employees are expected to work by the rules. Each employee receives their own copy of the Safety Rule Book from which they are trained and tested to ensure their understanding of the rules.
- Tool-Box Safety Training: The major purpose of this training is to enable all personnel to take a few minutes to clear their minds of everything except the safety of themselves and their associates.
- Safety Assessment Scorecard: Our locations are given a safety assessment on a quarterly basis which gives a numerical score of their results.
- Eagle Eye Award: This award recognizes employees who have shown the ability to recognize and report potentially serious or life threatening situations before they occur. An Eagle Eye recipient receives a certificate, an eagle pin, and a monetary reward.
- Attaboy/Attagirl Award: This award is given to employees who recognize an unsafe situation in the workplace and goes out of their way to take corrective action.
- Take Two: Everyone must take two minutes frequently throughout their shift to ensure all employees understand each and every procedure they are going to do.
- Gold, Silver or Bronze Spike Awards: Safety awards are given each year based on our incident frequency and severity index.
We are working every day to continually improve our safety record and make this and each subsequent year our safest year yet. For more information about Railserve's approach to safety, please call 1-800-345-RAIL, or send us an e-mail.